Installation of 996 solar panels lets Bako Western produce 240,000kWh of electricity with an ROI of 16%
Bako Western is a wholesale distribution company supplying the baking industry across the Midlands, South and Southwest. Operating from a purpose built warehouse of over 50,000 square feet in Cullompton, Devon, Bako uses a significant amount of energy for their cold storage facilities.
Bako started looking into business solar panels 2-3 years prior to its discussions with Mypower and had sought quotes from several companies. A decision to progress the project was deferred due to Bako's limited knowledge of PV and lack of confidence in the companies who had made a proposal.
Key facts and predictions - amended to September 2018 rates
- 249kW - installed by Mypower.
- £190,000 - cost excluding VAT.
- 240,881kWh - electricity produced per annum (site specific prediction from PV solar, typically conservative by 2-10 %).
- 79 tonnes - CO2 emissions avoided per annum.
- £35,740 - projected first year income and savings assuming 90% of electricity used on site.
- 18.8% - projected first year return on capital invested, before capital allowance benefits. This includes £50k of electrical upgrades.
- 5.3 years - system payback before finance, tax and capital allowance benefits including electrical upgrades.
- £1,822,000 - total projected income and savings over 25 years after indexation.
- 3.5p/kWh - equivalent forward-purchase price of 5.4 million units of electricity over 25 years, plus FiT income on top.
In the first 12 months the commercial solar energy system produced over 251,000kWh - 4.25% ahead of budget and predictions, improving the above returns.
Reputation, security and trust sees Mypower install 249kW of solar PV
Bako Western was introduced to Mypower and, after a number of discussions, we were asked to provide formal advice, recommendations and a quotation.
Installation began at the end of July and was complete on time and on budget in mid-September. Mypower completed all the necessary paperwork and also the extensive process of connecting the 249kW solar PV system to the grid.
"I would have no hesitation recommending Mole Energy and Mypower to any potential customer. Of special note was Ben Harrison's energy and attention to detail, driving the project to a successful conclusion during Bako Western's peak summer trading period. The management team at Bako Western now view the weather forecast with extra interest and have already monitored significant savings since the installation was commissioned".
Stuart Wilson, General Manager - Bako Western