Call us on 01242 620894Request a call back

Case Study:
Leeways Packaging Services Ltd

Award-winning packaging company powers ahead to a sustainable future

Leeways is a family owned business which was established in 1971 and has grown into one of the leading suppliers of thermoformed plastic packaging in the UK. The company, which employs 130 staff across three sites, manufactures up to 500 million plastic trays every year. They are 100 per cent recyclable and made from over 85 per cent recycled materials.

High energy use

As a high energy user of around 200,000 kWh per month, costing approximately £25,000 each month, Leeways were looking to reduce their environmental impact and drive down day-to-day costs.

Service above and beyond the competition

The company had been in consultation with other solar PV providers for many months prior to Mypower's first conversation with them, in September 2018. In just 10 days, we had carried out a detailed site survey, produced system designs, provided a comprehensive quote, agreed the contract and signed it off. In true Mypower style, we committed 100% of our time to deliver the best solar PV system for Leeways - going above and beyond other providers.

Key facts and predictions with no subsidy or grants

  • 496.5 kW (1742 Panels) - installed by Mypower.
  • 500,638 - units of energy produced per annum.
  • £66,375 - projected first year income and savings with 86% of electricity is used on site.
  • 17.7% - projected first year return on capital invested, before capital allowance benefits.
  • 4.11 p/kWh - equivalent forward purchase price of 11.5M units of electricity over 25 years, including operations and maintenance costs.
  • 165 tonnes - CO2 emissions avoided per annum.
  • 5.6 years - system payback before finance, tax and capital allowance benefits.
  • £3,700,000 - total projected income and savings over 25 years less capex of £375,000 = £3,325,000 margin.
  • 71% - saving from solar PV electricity compared to grid supplied electricity at 14.54 p/kWh.


Leeways Packaging Services Ltd

Sustainability pledge

Sustainability is a major focus for Leeways. The solar panel installation from Mypower will save 172 tonnes of carbon dioxide per annum that would have been generated by traditional fossil fuels.

86 per cent of the electricity generated by the installation will be used by Leeways, with the other 14 per cent going back into the National Grid to help power local properties.

Leeways managing director, Lee Walding, said of the installation: "Not only does it fit perfectly with Leeways' determination to lower its carbon footprint and help protect the environment, but it also makes good business sense as it will help lower energy bills in the longer term."

The 1,742 panels, which sit next to the company's headquarters at Churcham, Gloucestershire, will generate up to 25 per cent of its power. With the cost of traditionally generated energy continuing to soar, switching to solar power makes good financial sense. Over the 25-year warrantied life span of the panels, Leeways' installation is estimated to save the company more than £3 million in electricity costs.

Full project management

Mypower's motto is 'under-promise and over-deliver' and, as with all our installations, we did exactly that. Ben Harrison, who heads up Mypower explained: "Every installation is different, which is why we create bespoke system design proposals. Some challenges to overcome on this project included tight field boundaries, shading challenges, an adjacent footpath, planning permissions, difficult electrical connections, liaising with Leeways' insurers, rating valuation queries and finance proposals. We gave them our Rolls Royce service - as we always do. Our fixed price quote was honored - no extras, despite extra work being carried out at the client's request"

Powering the future

In the first three full months of operation, the system produced 15,650 kWh (9.7%) more than Mypower's predictions in the initial quote. By reducing their energy costs, Leeways can pass these savings on to their customers and help the whole food production industry become more sustainable and future-proofed.

Leeways Packaging Services Ltd

"Mypower are highly knowledgeable and delivered a turnkey project from planning applications to negotiating the best possible rates for our export.
We are delighted with the outcome, the service, advice and commitment Mypower gave to our PV installation; it was exceptional.
We would happily recommend Mypower to anyone considering a solar PV project"

Lee Walding, Managing Director - Leeways

Lee Walding, Managing Director, Leeways with Ben Harrison of Mypower


Manufacturing Case Studies

Take a look at what we have been up to recently

Have we captured your interest?

Start a conversation

Keep track on what we've been up to and join the conversation on clean, green, renewable energy on our LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook!