Herefordshire and Worcestershire Health & Care NHS Trust
Tenbury Community Hospital
Delivering environmental sustainability goals for NHS Trust
Tenbury Community hospital is one of seven hospitals across Worcestershire offering a range of inpatient and outpatient services. They support people to recover from surgery or illness when they don’t require acute care but neither can be treated at home. Tenbury is a key part of the local healthcare system.
The hospital is managed by the Herefordshire and Worcestershire Health & Care NHS Trust who have set long term environmental sustainability plans across the Trust and solar PV is a large of the deliverability plan.
With a 7 day a week operation and high daytime electricity consumption, the hospital is well placed to benefit highly from solar PV.
Clean electricity for a sustainable
Mypower designed and installed a 29.82kWp solar PV system that will generate a projected 27,778 kWh of clean renewable electricity helping the hospital to avoid over 7 tonnes of carbon emissions annually.
In just over 6 years the system will have paid for itself with the savings made by avoiding buying around 27,000kWh of electricity from the grid at their current rate of 17p/unit. This is delivering a Return Of Investment (ROI) of 15.8%.
No interruptions for the hospital
The installation at the busy site caused no disruption to staff or patients. The panels were fitted by Mypower’s highly experienced inhouse installation team across 4 roof sections using quality fixings from Sunfixings.
High quality German engineered QCells solar panels and SolarEdge inverter and optimiser technology were selected to maximise generation and to provide an excellent monitoring system.
Smooth process for environmental change
“Mypower were available every step of the way. They made the process easy to understand and raised any issues of concern at the earliest opportunity so everything ran smoothly. I could contact them easily and having responses in a timely manner reassured all those working on the project. I would definitely recommend them.”
Rehan Yunus, Environmental Officer
“We are all aware of the impact that climate change and global warming is having on our planet. As part of the Trust’s 'Sustainable Development Management Plan', the staff here at Tenbury Community Hospital are excited to be an initial part of this new project to use green energy via the use of solar panels, and also to be doing our tiny part to reduce the impact of fossil fuel on the global environment.”
Jenny Biddlecombe, Admin & Clerical Manager for Tenbury & Malvern Community Hospitals
Key facts and predictions
• 29.82 kW (84 panels) installed by Mypower.
• 27,778 kWh units of energy produced per annum.
• £4,706 projected first year income and savings assuming 100% of electricity used on site.
• 15.8% projected first year return on capital invested, before capital allowance benefits.
• 6.05 p/kwh - equivalent forward purchase price of 639,716 units of electricity over 25 years including estimated O&M costs, and excluding potential Annual Investment Allowance tax benefit.
• 7.06 tonnes of CO2 emissions avoided per annum.
• 6.3 years system payback before finance, tax and capital allowance benefits.
• £190,583 - 25 year income & savings after indexation.
• 64% saving from solar PV electricity compared to grid supplied electricity at 16.94 p/kWh.
Rehan Yunus, Environmental Officer
"The staff here at Tenbury Community Hospital are excited to be an initial part of this new project to use green energy via the use of solar panels."